Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tech Tuesday - Playing in the cloud with google

Google likes to play in the cloud and is introducing me to a whole new way of doing things. I have attended several of the webinars on using Google by Lisa Louise Cooke and Thomas MacEntee. It is amazing all the things that google can help me do.

Google will sync my calendar with my cell phone. My google docs are available from any computer that I use. If I am at the library and log in to Google, all of my docs are there! No more forgotten files!

Today I worked in google forms and created a survey for our genealogy group. It can be e-mailed to members, filled out on line, and when returned the responses are automatically entered into a spread sheet! What could be easier? It even says "Thank You" when the form is returned. Once again all of this is stored in the cloud which allows you to give others permission to access the data. This could reduce the need for unnecessary meetings and phone calls. Collaboration at its best.

1 comment:

  1. I use Google Docs for things, but never considered using them for Genealogy. I have wanted to find somethings like birthdays when I research and found that I did not have the informaiton with me.
    This would be a great thing to post on the Docs.

    ReplyDelete